Apple’s Jobs, beset by health issues, resigns – Business – US business | NBC News

pb-110824-jobs3.grid-6x2

Staff  /  Reuters

Steve Jobs is shown in this combination of file photos dating (top row left to right) 2000, 2003, 2005, (bottom row left to right) 2006, 2008 and 2009.

Silicon Valley legend Steve Jobs, who has been on medical leave for an undisclosed condition since Jan. 17, resigned as chief executive of Apple Wednesday, saying he could “no longer meet” the duties and expectations of the job.

Interim CEO Tim Cook was immediately elevated to CEO, while Jobs, 56, will stay on as chairman of the board.
While the move was stunning, it was not entirely unexpected. Apple investors appeared to be recovering from the initial shock, however. Apple shares were down $8, or 2.1 percent, at $368.16 in pre-market trading Thursday. That’s half the loss seen in Wednesday’s extended trading.”I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know,” Jobs said in a letter to “the Apple community” that was released by the company. “Unfortunately, that day has come.”

Jobs had been seen only rarely this year, including at a San Francisco event in March where he unveiled Apple’s iPad 2, the hugely successful follow-on to its hugely successful tablet computer.

Video: Tech world shaken as Jobs quits as Apple CEO

“His health clearly wasn’t improving and there was going to come a time when he was going to have to step aside,” said Rob Enderle, longtime technology analyst with Enderle Group.

Still, Enderle said it will be a blow for the company.

“Apple was designed around Steve Jobs, so there was really never going to be a great time for this,” Enderle said.

The move also could heat up competition in the already hyper-contentious smartphone market and provide an opening for rivals such as Samsung and HTC.

“Even before Steve Jobs’ (resignation), Samsung was getting more and more optimistic that they can actually take on Apple in the smartphone arena,” said Mark Newman, a former director of strategy at Samsung, where he worked for six years.

“The game is really now Samsung’s to lose … They are picking up market share because of the change in dynamics in the smartphone industry,” added Newman, now a senior analyst for global memory and consumer electronics at Sanford C Bernstein.

Jobs’ announcement triggered an outpouring of comments across the Internet from the company’s legendary base of intensely loyal customers, many of them expressing concerns for the executive’s health.

Story: Cook has the skills to lead Apple, observers say

“I’m sad. He’s the greatest entrepreneur ever,” said Fred Wilson, a venture capitalist and principal of Union Square Ventures.

Jobs has suffered from health problems for at least seven years. In 2004 he took a leave of absence to get treatment for pancreatic cancer.

In January 2009 he took another leave, and it was later revealed that he received a liver transplant.

Cook, who has been at the company for 13 years, is widely respected as a strong No. 2 leader but hardly the visionary that Jobs is.

“He’s not that kind of a person and invariably that’s going to be a weakness,” Enderle said.

Jobs’ story is virtually unparalleled in the annals of American business.

Pushed out of the company he co-founded in the mid-1980s, Jobs went on to found Pixar Animation Studios, the force behind some of Hollywood’s most successful animated films. That company alone made Jobs a billionaire and was eventually acquired by the Walt Disney Co.

Jobs returned to Apple as CEO in the mid-1990s and presided over a string of hit products, refashioning the company as a maker of consumer products and integrated services including the iPhone and iPad as well as laptops and desktop computers.

The company’s high-flying stock has more than tripled in value since 2009 and now Apple rivals Exxon Mobil as the most valuable American company with a market capitalization of nearly $350 billion. Jobs himself has a net worth of about $8.3 billion, ranking him No. 34 among the richest Americans, according to Forbes.

Jobs’ resigning after storied career

Although Jobs has been silent about his the details of his condition, his sudden departure, combined with his medical history, suggests that his condition has worsened to the point where he is “not in functional capability,” suggested Dr. Timothy Donahue, a doctor with the UCLA Center for Pancreatic Disease.

“It could potentially mean pain, lethargy, tiredness,” Donahue said, all of which would preclude running a global enterprise and even raise worries about Jobs’ survival.

Despite treatment for a neuroendocrine pancreatic tumor, first diagnosed in 2004, and a liver transplant, the cancer likely has re-emerged, Donahue said. In other patients who have liver transplants after neuroendocrine pancreatic tumors, the median survival rate is typically about two years.
Apple’s Jobs, beset by health issues, resigns – Business – US business | NBC News.

Intel Discloses New Architecture Features of Next Generation Itanium Processor “Poulson”

Intel Discloses New Architecture Features of Next Generation Itanium Processor “Poulson”.

During the Hot Chips conference at Stanford University, Intel Corporation announced new architecture features of its upcoming Itanium processor, codenamed “Poulson.” The new features: Intel Instruction Replay Technology, Intel Hyper-Threading Technology improvements and Itanium New Instructions are aimed to take full advantage of the next generation, 12-wide issue architecture. “Poulson”, with eight cores and 3.1 billion transistors, will be the most sophisticated Intel processor to date, and is on track for launch in 2012. It is followed by a future “Kittson” processor, currently under development. Learn more here in a blog post by Pauline Nist, General Manager of Intel’s Mission Critical Segment at Intel.

IBM’s cognitive computing chip functions like a human brain, heralds our demise (video)

ibm-brain-1313664515
After having created a supercomputer capable of hanging with Jeopardy’s finest, IBM has now taken another step toward human-like artificial intelligence, with an experimental chip designed to function like a real brain. Developed as part of aDARPA project called SyNAPSE (Systems of Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics), IBM’s so-called “neurosynaptic computing chip” features a silicon core capable of digitally replicating the brain’s neurons, synapses and axons. To achieve this, researchers took a dramatic departure from the conventional von Neumann computer architecture, which links internal memory and a processor with a single data channel. This structure allows for data to be transmitted at high, but limited rates, and isn’t especially power efficient — especially for more sophisticated, scaled-up systems. Instead, IBM integrated memory directly within its processors, wedding hardware with software in a design that more closely resembles the brain’s cognitive structure. This severely limits data transfer speeds, but allows the system to execute multiple processes in parallel (much like humans do), while minimizing power usage. IBM’s two prototypes have already demonstrated the ability to navigate, recognize patterns and classify objects, though the long-term goal is to create a smaller, low-power chip that can analyze more complex data and, yes, learn. Scurry past the break for some videos from IBM’s researchers, along with the full press release.

IBM’s cognitive computing chip functions like a human brain, heralds our demise (video).

Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility – Investor Relations – Google

Combination will Supercharge Android, Enhance Competition, and Offer Wonderful User Experiences

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA and LIBERTYVILLE, IL – AUGUST 15, 2011 – Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) and Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: MMI) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Google will acquire Motorola Mobility for $40.00 per share in cash, or a total of about $12.5 billion, a premium of 63% to the closing price of Motorola Mobility shares on Friday, August 12, 2011. The transaction was unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies.
The acquisition of Motorola Mobility, a dedicated Android partner, will enable Google to supercharge the Android ecosystem and will enhance competition in mobile computing. Motorola Mobility will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. Google will run Motorola Mobility as a separate business.
Larry Page, CEO of Google, said, “Motorola Mobility’s total commitment to Android has created a natural fit for our two companies. Together, we will create amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers. I look forward to welcoming Motorolans to our family of Googlers.”
Sanjay Jha, CEO of Motorola Mobility, said, “This transaction offers significant value for Motorola Mobility’s stockholders and provides compelling new opportunities for our employees, customers, and partners around the world. We have shared a productive partnership with Google to advance the Android platform, and now through this combination we will be able to do even more to innovate and deliver outstanding mobility solutions across our mobile devices and home businesses.”
Andy Rubin, Senior Vice President of Mobile at Google, said, “We expect that this combination will enable us to break new ground for the Android ecosystem. However, our vision for Android is unchanged and Google remains firmly committed to Android as an open platform and a vibrant open source community. We will continue to work with all of our valued Android partners to develop and distribute innovative Android-powered devices.”
The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of regulatory approvals in the US, the European Union and other jurisdictions, and the approval of Motorola Mobility’s stockholders. The transaction is expected to close by the end of 2011 or early 2012.
Source: Google Investor Relations.

DailyTech – SETI Receives Over $200,000 in Donations; Allen Telescope Array Back in Action

In June, SETI and its fans in Silicon Valley organized a website for donations called SETIstars

21271_5295089084_fb3ca122ea_o
Back in April of this year, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute (SETI) was temporarily shut down due to reduced federal dollars and a state budget crisis. But after receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations from fans, SETI is now back in action.
SETI, which is located in Mountain View, California, searches the skies for extraterrestrial life through the use of the Allen Telescope Array located 290 miles northeast of San Francisco. There are 42 telescopes that measure 20-feet-wide in this array, and they operate 24 hours per day. Research and development of the telescopes began in 2001 after a $11.5 million contribution from the Paul G. Allen Family Foundation, and construction of the telescopes began in 2004 after a $13.5 million donation from Microsoft Co-Founder Paul Allen. The Allen Telescope Array became fully functional in 2007.

On April 22, 2011, lack of funding put the telescopes on hold. SETI CEO Tom Pierson even described staff cuts that would take place. Loss of funding from the University of California at Berkeley was the biggest financial hit, since it was SETI’s partner in operating the array.

But believers of the unknown didn’t take this lying down. In June, SETI and its fans in Silicon Valley organized a website for donations called SETIstars. By August 3, the site had $200,000 in donations, which is what SETI needed to continue operations. Since then, another $4,000 in contributions have rolled in.

“We’re not completely out of the woods yet, but everybody’s smiling here,” said Pierson. “We think we’re going to come out of hibernation and be solid for the next five months or so, and during those five months we’re going to take care of calendar year 2013 and put that under our belt.”

A few big names that contributed to SETIstars were Larry Niven, science fiction writer who created the “Ringworld” series; Bill Anders, Apollo 8 astronaut who flew around the moon in 1968; and Jodie Foster, actress who portrayed a SETI researcher in the movie “Contact.”

“It is absolutely irresponsible of the human race not to be searching for evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence,” wrote Anders in a message with his donation.

While this $200,000+ has helped pull SETI out of hibernation, it’s not the end of the financial line needed to get SETI into the clear. Pierson noted that the institute is looking to cut operating costs and the cost of science operations, which equates to about $2.5 million annually. A new operating model is needed now that UC Berkeley is out of the picture.

In the future, SETI astronomers hope to use the Allen Telescope Array to listen for signals from NASA’s Kepler planet-hunting mission, which identifies planetary systems. But this project would need about $5 million in order to be pursued. Also, Pierson hopes to work with the U.S. Air Force, who could use the array to track “orbital objects” that may be a threat to satellites.

Until then, SETI researchers are just happy to have an operational telescope array once again.
Source: DailyTech.